Folk music comes in many forms, with each countries history providing a rich diversity which still influences music of today.
It is an easy style of music for beginners, who can play a song with just a few basic chords and with a range of acoustic and folk nights welcoming all standards there is always somewhere to practice with fellow musicians.
Traditionally folk music is performed acoustically but since the introduction of amplification musicians have integrated it to suit their purposes, using pickups and microphones to reach a larger audience. The types of instrument used has also changed throughout the ages from lyres to guitars, early and modern instruments are used.
Blues and Folk musicians often share a stage, performing at events and festivals for either genre, so when looking for live music check the programs for both.
The club has many folk musicians who have provided us with some great entertainment. If you live in or around Bath and North London check out the Acoustic Network who arrange monthly acoustic nights where beginners to professionals musicians and their friends are welcome to turn up and play.
Visit Mary's site for details of the Acoustic Network in Bath or pop into the Wheatsheaf, Windmill Hill, Enfield where they host an acoustic night every 2nd Tuesday of the month.
Also check out the Acoustic section or discover the latest Top 20 Folk charts, singles, 12", album & white label new releases in our MP3 Folk Charts complete with snippets of the latest songs to play online!!
- alt.folk.uk UK newsgroup that discusses all aspects of folk music and instruments.
- Australian Folk Songs
- BBC Radio 2 Folk & Acoustic Page
- Bishop Stortford Folk Club
- Belgisch Folk Forum - reaching the Belgian Folk community in English & German
- Colchester Arts Centre home of Colchester Folk Club
- Colorado Folk Harp Society
- Contemplator for folk music of England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales & America includes hundreds of lyrics, midi, history, links & resources.
- Cumbria Folk News UK information about the folk music scene in Cumbria
- Digital Tradition Folk Song Database search the archive of folk songs
- East Midlands Folk Pages
Folk & Roots Music and Dance information and gig listings for Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Staffordshire and Warwickshire.
- Essex Folk News includes events for Essex & East London
- FizGig - Folk & Roots gigs in Lincolnshire, comprehensive info, festivals, gigs, bands and more
- Folking.com Live MP3 downloads and artist information.
- FolkMusic Comprehensive site containing folk and acoustic resources.
- Folk Buzz The Magazine
- Folk and Roots UK site providing folk cd and live reviews, features, venue and artist listings plus forthcoming folk events in London and the South East.
- Folk in the Regions Traditional and Folk music in specific areas of England.
- Folk Music Magazine THE german folk music magazine.
- Folk Radio FOLKDJ-L is an electronic discussion group for DJs and other people interested in all folk-based music (bluegrass, old-time, traditional balladry, traditional international music, singer-songwriters, etc.) on the radio. They have a great article on 'Getting airplay on Folk Radio Stations'
- Folk Wales
Mari Arts website created to research, preserve and encourage the use of all aspects of the traditional arts including song, music, dance, drama, storytelling and relevant details of traditional arts activities in Wales
- Folk World a comprehensive resource for folk lovers in English & German.
- From Fiddler Magazine
- Fylde Folk includes information on the local folk scene plus the Fylde Folk Festival and Falcon Folk Club.
- Green Man Review folk, celtic & roots music, books and gig reviews.
- Irish Music Rights Associations
- Mad for Trad traditional irish music cd/s, festivals, organisations, magazines & tutorials for a wide variety of instruments using video, text, photos & music notation.
- Music Database - We maintain a database of over 1000 traditional British related folk dance tunes. All are stored using the Nottingham ASCII format.
- Rock n Reel UK alternative roots music magazine and online resource.
- Somerset Acoustic Nights - Listings of Acoustic Pubs, Open Mic & Events
- South Folk Music Network provides diary dates for South of England folk nights and events.
- The Gate to Southwell Folk Festival Festival Site, Off Upton Road, Southwell, Nottinghamshire NG25 0PT.
Roots and Folk Music Festival, three stages with under cover seating, concerts on site and in the Minster, ceilidhs, dance displays, children's events, workshops, open mic sessions. Real ale & cider festival, food and craft stalls on the festival site. Camping in adjacent field. Events around town including sessions in local pubs. Free parking for day visitors.
Info line 01636 816678
- SY Folk South Yorkshire Music information, whats on and resources.
- The Folk Rag
- The Mudcat Café Digital Tradition Folksong DatabaseSearch or browse this resource containg the lyrics to over 8,000 folk songs.
- The UK Folk Index includes many clubs who don't have their own website.
- Webfeet Directory of folk dance sites.
- Woodford Folk Festival, Australia is an event of international standing held over six days & nights presenting more than 2000 Australian & International performers and 400 events including concerts, workshops, acoustic jams, history forums, late night cabarets and special events including a spectacular fire event.
- World Folk Music Association
Non-profit USA organisation promoting folk artists and their music
Return to Top
Acoustic | Blues | Christian | Classical | Country | Folk | Gospel | Jazz
Musicals | Rap n HipHop | Rock | World
Home | Lessons | Interactive | Gig Guide | Site Map | Free Stuff | Contact
© 1998 - 2013 Electric Blues Club - All Rights Reserved
Dropdown Menu by Brothercake
Graphics & Services