The Cello is a large instrument made of wood with strings stretched across its length. It is played by resting the broad base on the floor and leaning the fretboard back across the left shoulder. The left hand produces the chord shapes whilst the right hand plucks or uses a bow across the strings to produce the notes.
Cellos and Accessories
The bow can be bounced on the string for a springy light effect known as jumping whilst plucking the strings produces short sharp notes known as pizzicato.
Open cello strings sound an octave below that of the Viola although the tuning is the same with its four strings tuned to C, G, D and A in fifths.
The Cello has a rich deep sound with an ethereal quality which is popular in a wide range of styles including pop, blues, rock, film and classical music.
Cello Books, CD, DVD, Video
Return to Top
Online String Applications
Return to Top
- Arto's String Calculator very comprehensive online program with full instructions for calculating where a string can be used by setting the diameter and more. Measures string tension and diameter for a number of instruments, in a variety of settings.
- Arto's String Diameter/Tension Drawer
- String Tension Pro free, easy-to-use web application that allows you to customize, create and compare string sets for your instrument
- Java Tuner This Java applet demonstrates various historical tunings and temperaments and allows one to experiment with them. It was developed to accompany a text on Understanding temperaments, and is complemented by a set of MIDI files demonstrating various tunings and temperaments, full instructions and a variety of modern and archaic tuning modes. Also provides selected intervals and a chord player.
- MPUSTC String Guage & Tension Calculator Check your string tensions based on pitch, guage and type of string, also does the inverse calculation when you type in other string parameters.
Subscribe to our Free Monthly Newsletter
Strings | Banjo | Cello | Dulcimer | Guitar | Harp | Lute | Mandolin | Misc | Piano | Shop | Violin | Links
Home | Lessons | Interactive | Gig Guide | Site Map | Free Stuff | Contact
© 1998 - 2017 Electric Blues Club - All Rights Reserved
Graphics & Services