The Violin and Viola are hollow wooden instruments shaped like an 8 with 4 strings stretched along its length. The base is placed under the chin with one hand holding the neck of the instrument whilst the other uses a bow across the strings. The bow is usually made of wood with horsehair stretched along the length of one side.
Books & Arrangements
Notes are produced by plucking the strings with the fingers, known as pizzicato, by running the bow across one or more strings, known as arco or using the wood part of the bow in a rhythmic manner known as col legno.
These instruments vary in tone depending on their size. The Violin is the smallest of the bowed string family followed by the Viola, Cello and the Double Bass.
Fiddle is another term used for the violin, especially by folk, bluegrass, celtic and country players.
These instruments are very popular in many styles of music including blues, pop, rock, jazz, classical and have been used successfully on songs by Buddy Holly, Adam Faith, The Beatles, Gene Vincent and more recently on 'Bittersweet Symphony' by The Verve.
Tuners & String Apps
Violins, Violas and Accessories
Fiddle, Viola & Violin Lessons
Return to Top
- 20 Minute Music - Violin - Violin Beginner Course 1. Course Resources. Violin Chart...
- Beginning Adult Violin Students
- Canadian Violins Guide to basic care of violins
- Fiddle Lessons Songs, Fiddle Music, and Notes
- Music Study For Adults
- StringPlayers - Learn to play Violin or Viola Online - 5 to 8 yo
- Stradivari - How to make a Violin
- Stringstuff Free Sheet Music, Exercises & Lessons for Cello, Viola & Violin
- Violin and Celtic Fiddle Music by Sue Aston The Violin Pages, OnLine gift Shop, uplifting and inspirational violin music, Teaching and playing tips
- Violin Making
- Violin World has a step by step guide to making instruments, teacher listings, Articles, Jokes and Violin products.
Resources & Links
Return to Top
- Fiddle Notes - Events, Resources & Info for UK Fiddlers
- Internet Viola Society
- La Famille Viator Violins: Hand-crafted in the Louisiana Creole Tradition
- Musica Viva
- Sheila's Violin Conservatory
- Stacy Phillips Dobro & Fiddle Page
- Stradivarius Violins
- String Pedagogy
- Strings Direct uk strings, cables & accessories.
- Sounds from the Vaults Virtual Instruments Enter the vault and click on the images to display musical instrument artifacts, then follow the instructions to play them (uses Shockwave for playing).
- Violin Land The Roland Collection by violin historian Cheniston K Roland contains informative articles, news, discographies and bibliographies of violinists and the violin including history, construction, discussion forum and links to related sites.
- ViolinMP3 Violinproject is an irreverent and eclectic violin portal for free violin MP3s, full of all sorts of violin music, articles, features and music information. Brought to you by UK violinist Simon Hewitt Jones.
- Violink World of violins
- Yehudi Menuin School UK
Fiddle, Viola & Violin Sheet Music
Return to Top
Online String Applications
- Arto's String Calculator very comprehensive online program with full instructions for calculating where a string can be used by setting the diameter and more. Measures string tension and diameter for a number of instruments, in a variety of settings.
- Arto's String Diameter/Tension Drawer
- Java Tuner This Java applet demonstrates various historical tunings and temperaments and allows one to experiment with them. It was developed to accompany a text on Understanding temperaments, and is complemented by a set of MIDI files demonstrating various tunings and temperaments, full instructions and a variety of modern and archaic tuning modes. Also provides selected intervals and a chord player.
- String Guage & Tension Calculator Check your string tensions based on pitch, guage and type of string, also does the inverse calculation when you type in other string parameters.
Strings | Banjo | Cello | Dulcimer | Guitar | Harp | Lute | Mandolin | Misc | Piano | Shop | Violin | Links
Home | Lessons | Interactive | Gig Guide | Site Map | Free Stuff | Contact
© 1998 - 2013 Electric Blues Club - All Rights Reserved