Working on stage in a musical production is both rewarding and hard work!! Performers who wish to work in live theatre must be skilled at acting, dance and singing plus become an expert at swift costume changes and character make up!
The term 'Musical Production' actually covers any performance that contains music and/or the singing voice which provides many opportunities for both amateur and professional musicians and artists.
Many professional entertainers start their careers by joining Amateur Dramatics groups who welcome all ages and standards with the aim of presenting a show and having fun! The basics of stage direction, learning lines, set building, make up and acting are just a few of the many skill that can be learnt whilst you get real 'hands on' experience in working within a theatrical environment.
Those who enjoy working on stage can further their careers by taking courses designed to cover all aspects of theatrical performance or audition for semi-professional and commercial productions. Advertisers in the UK use The Stage Newspaper whilst in the US auditions can be found in their equivalent performance magazine Variety.
Read Stage, Music Articles, visit theatres and theatrical sites listed below or listen to music on your PC whilst you work/surf - find out whats on & when with our Webcast Listings updated hourly.
Stage & Theatre Links
Back to Top
- Royal National Theatre - Official website has a useful archive containing information on previous productions since 1998 which can also supply photocopies of programme notes, major reviews and associated articles about previous productions.
- About Guide to the British Theatre - Great for students of the British Theatre, with extensive site reviews, feature articles, discussion areas, up to date information and the British Theatre Newsletter to which you can subscribe.
- Globe Theatre - produced and maintained by Reading University, this site includes an excellent history of the theatre with hypertexted links to relevant information on the design and construction of the building plus Guidebook, FAQ, The International Globe Centre, Performances at the Globe and directions Getting to the Globe.
- Hackney Empire - Based on the great Italian opera houses of the 18th century, the building also reflected the technology of the time by becoming Britain's first all electric theatre. The site contains a history of the theatre which can be viewed as a narrative or by using an animated timeline.
- The Stage UK weekly newspaper covering all aspects of the performing arts including reviews, interviews, classified ads etc.
- Time Out magazine that is produced for major cities in several countries. Contents include stage and theatre plays, venues, gig guide, reviews and news.
Stage & Theatre Links
Amateur dramatics sites, sites providing musical theatre information, lyrics, songs, courses, workshops and other related sites are welcome to send their details for inclusion to the Webmaster.
Back to Top
- A Gilbert and Sullivan archive
- American Musical Theater Reference Library
- American Theatre Organ Society
- Association of British Theatre Technicians. - A brilliant site for all things technical and/or Health & safety orientated. It has a members section but its public sections are worth a browse.
- Amdram uk has a variety of courses including Speech and Vocal with links to other vocal, dramatic and theatrical resources.
- Bectu - The 'backstage' union - Useful starting point for general inquires into the backstage areas of theatre.
- Canadian Institute of Theatre Technology (CITT)
- Canadian Musicals Website
- Center Stage Musicals - Musicals, reviews, news, productions and more!!
- Classical Music Used in Film
- Curtain UP! - Entertaining & enlightening musical theatre programmes.
- Equity - The British Actors Union
- Evita (The Musical) Song Lyrics
- Fame (The Musical) Song Lyrics
- Fame (The Musical) Lyrics
- GMN.com Arts site with news, information, features, contests, artists, downloads and webcasts for Classical, Opera, Jazz, Ballet, Theatre and World Music.
- Goodspeed Musical Theatre library
- Guildhall School of Music and Drama - Providing creative education, training and research in musical and theatrical performance. Located in London they provide courses in music and voice including Operatic, Classical etc.
- How to Dance Properly..............with demonstrations!! Humorous examples someone who shouldn't!!
- IWS theatre theatre, humor, news, acting, writing
- Musical Heaven discuss your favourite musicals.
- Musical Theatre
- Musical Theatre articles, advice and shop
- Musical Theatre archives
- Musical Theatre Info
- Musical Theatre Lovers United is an educational organization and club for lovers of musical theatre. They hold sing-alongs, classes, workshops and special presentations.
- Musical Theatres and Opera Companies Listed by State
- Musicals Lyrics (The Very Best of)
- Musicals.net - Musicals & Theatrical Lyrics
- MY Entertainment WORLD (USA) is the largest resource information for funding and career opportunities for motion pictures, television, recording, live theatre, art, fashion industry, models, talents, performers, casting directors, agents, photographers, stylists, etc.... WORLD WIDE !! Complete listing of Feature Films in Preparation/Pre-Production, Film Festivals, Tv Movies, Pilots & Tv series. Comprehensive UP-TO-DATE Auditions/Casting information in: Chorus Call - Dance - Film - Music (Singers, Musicians & Bands) - Professional Modeling - Night Club, Comedy Club & Cabaret - Stage (Equity) - Stage - TV Shows & Commercials - Theme Parks / Cruises - Others
- My Musicals Mania
- National Alliance for Musical Theatre
- National Operatic & Dramatic Association
- New York Public Library for the Performing Arts: Music Division - Information on the library's music collections, special features, exhibitions and selected Internet resources in music.
- Pioneer Drama Service USA - Pioneer Drama Service is the nation's premiere full-service theatre publisher and resource for full-length and one-act plays, musicals, children's plays and ...
- Professional Light and Sound Association. - Another good site for news and information on technical matters. This one also covers club, outdoor events and conferences.
- Selected Sources for Musical Theatre and Film Music
- SHOWCALL Directory of Light Entertainment
- Show Music Magazine - covering musical theatre around the world.
- Slightly off Broadway
- Slightly Off Broadway Fun
- Sound of Music Song Lyrics
- Stage Electrics hire company - They have their catalogue on-line and can process on-line orders. A helpful company if you have a problem to solve.
- The Internet Theatre Bookshop - comprehensive catalogue of plays including several thousand out of print plays and theatre related books. Site includes information on performatnce rights plus listings of playwrights on the web and a global directory of ticket agencies.
- The Conference of Drama Schools
- The Stage Newspaper UK - Contains stage, theatre, radio and television related news, articles, job classifieds and auditions plus a forum for discussing theatre related things.
- Theater Musicians Association
- Tower Lyrics Archive lists lyrics from many musicals
- UK Theatre Web - Opera - Index to opera music in the UK, including companies, theatres, singers and magazines.
- United States Institute for Theatre Technology (USITT)
- University Musical Society
- West Side Story Song Lyrics
- Wizard of Oz Song Lyrics
- Zarzuela! - Information about the Zarzuela, a Spanish lyric theatre genre. Includes history, composers, CD reviews, song translations, images, and an index of works.
- Welsh College of Music & Drama - Wales's only specialist centre for professional training in music and drama. Site in English and Welsh.
- Woodley Light Operatic Society
is an amateur musical society in Reading, Berkshire performing two musical shows each year from Cole porter to Gilbert and Sullivan
Acoustic | Blues | Christian | Classical | Country | Folk | Gospel | Jazz
Musicals | Rap n HipHop | Rock | World
Home | Lessons | Interactive | Gig Guide | Site Map | Free Stuff | Contact
© 1998 - 2013 Electric Blues Club - All Rights Reserved
Dropdown Menu by Brothercake
Graphics & Services